Monday, March 08, 2010

THE PACIFIC

A new HBO mini-series starts on Sunday March, 14. It is titled "The Pacific". This mini-series is based on true events during World War II. One of the characters portrayed is R. V. Burgin (Valton to my family). Valton is my Dad's first cousin. He was named after my Grandfather Romas Burgin. An actor (Martin McCann) came and stayed with Valton and his wife Florence (they met in Australia during World War II) to learn about Valton's mannerisms. There is a picture on line of Valton and Martin McCann standing together (google it). Martin McCann is about 6 inches shorter than Valton and my mother said when Valton was young he was much better looking than McCann but I think they look a little alike. Valton and Florence got to meet Tom Hanks both in California and in Australia for filming. I think they got to spend a good bit of time with him.
R. V. Burgin also has a new book out. It is "Islands of the Damned". I ordered a copy of the book before it was released and got my copy last week. I can hardly wait to read it. We are all very proud of Romas Valton Burgin. Not only for what he has done for his country receiving a Bronze Star a Purple Heart a Rifle Expert Badge and a Pistol Sharpshooter Badge, but for being a man deserving of respect in all areas of his life. Valton we love and appreciate you more than you know.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Valton is my grandmother's brother, so Uncle Valton to me. I knew he had done interviews for a documentary series, but just found out tonight it was the spielberg series and kind of flipped out when I saw his name as one of the highlighted characters! So of course I had to google his name and came across your blog...we are all definitely proud of him. :)