Monday, March 09, 2009

NORA GLENYS

I got a comment from Rambling Mother because she has a daughter named Glenys. It isn't a very common name. I thought this was a perfect opportunity to share how Nora's name came to be.

We wanted Nora to have a name that would remind her of her heritage so we chose a Latin name that is also an Irish name if you spell it differently. NORA is the Latin word for menorah, the Hebrew word for light. The name GLENYS is Gaelic and works well with our Irish last name. We chose it for it's meaning. It means beautiful and holy. The name NORA GLENYS means beautiful and holy light when you put it all together. We like the sound of the names together and hope that Nora will one day appreciate the meaning.

3 comments:

The Byrd's Nest said...

I love how you put Nora's name together and "Rambling Mother" is my dear sweet blog friend Bev....she is a sweet sweet soul.

Morris' said...

I love to hear the story of names people have. Nora is my mom's middle so I always like it. Nora has a beautiful name and she will appreciate it later on.

RamblingMother said...

I loved the meaning of Glenys name being holy or set apart for God's use what I came to believe G was, set apart in China for God! I was just the very lucky receipient of her as my daughter!